Friday, January 23, 2009

Strawberries and Sinkholes

Hey Everyone,
I am taking a break from cleaning the church's community center where earthquake victim's have been staying since the tragedy. Our morning consisted of taking a tour of the damaged areas the government would allow us to go. We got about 3 miles from the epicenter before we had to turn around and have some telling pictures of the roads and damage.
One of the most interesting moments for me was driving along the very road I saw on the news back home, where the first two little girls where killed. All of this devastation is backdropped by this beautiful countryside with lush green and storms that go in and out at the top of the mountain. It is beautiful. Along with the homes that were damaged was the farming/agriculture. The main concerns seem to be the cows and the strawberries. We stopped by a strawberry farmer hoping to salvage 40% of his crop this harvest. Can you imagine if you income suddenly dropped by 60% for the next 3 months? It's so sad. However, the strawberries were wonderful! And amidst seeing all this our team was not without the comic relief of me falling up to my waist in a small sinkhole (below).











It appeared to be solid until I stepped on it and got sucked in instantly. Honestly, I was a bit scared because I went down so fast, but I climbed out just as fast (thank you, adrenaline). After my heart started beating again, we realized I was just wet and smelly, it could be worse. As I write this I am finally dry, but probably still a bit smelly. Luckily the community center had some fresh socks for me when we arrived! Check out the picture!! Well, I better get back to cleaning, thanks for all your prayers and support. Keep commenting, we love to hear from you! Love, Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment